From 7 to 7000+

 O ajñāna-timirāndhasya jñānāñjana-śalākayā 
cakur unmīlita yena tasmai śrī-gurave nama

I had joined ISKCON movement in the year 2006. The first two years I wasn’t very convinced of the Book Distribution Marathons. The main reason I thought was that I am hopeless in marketing anything. But then I satisfied my ego by finding a good number of reasons like, we should not ‘sell’ Bhagavad-gita it will lose its value. Or sometimes to avoid debate or arguments I would simply say I don’t have time.

On December 3, 2007, I realized that Book Distribution Holds some Value when we were volunteering for a big Ayyapa Festival program through our college on the BKC grounds (Mumbai). And a Mataji came inside with some books. I was so happy to see a devotee face, I had bhagavad gita so I bought some small books – path of perfection, journey to other planets etc. And 3 of my classmates got themselves a Bhagavad gita. That day I understood, how it was worth accepting a hundred NO for that one yes, for that one person whose life could change by that one book.

So next year I tried doing Book Distribution at Dadar station. I thought I should lie at home and go, to save myself from giving explanations. I managed 7 bhagavad gitas that year (being a faithful introvert) that was a great job I did, until my dad figured out that I was bunking class and have been telling lies and was deeply hurt about it (not very proud of this).  That incident just dampened the little spark that I had, and all the book distribution I did was gifting books, one every year; and then 100 as wedding return gifts.

I was always in awe of people who could initiate a conversation, what to speak of those who were distributing thousands of Bhagavad gita. Then I did my NLP training and other professional training, where initiating conversations became easy (though I still don’t like it). But I wanted to use this in service. I was praying and praying to Gurudev, Srila Prabhupada that please show me a way, in which I could do something. I kept listening to talks on Book distribution. And One day in a completely off topic class, we got the idea of Bhagavad gita Contest. We spoke to the authority and they asked me for a proposal.

It was all ignited, and we felt a surge of enthusiasm somehow. When I typed the number 10000 under the column ‘number of bhagavad-gitas’ my husband looked at me apprehensively and asked: “Are you sure?” I said I don’t know, but I feel it. “Consider we get a hand or two more, but for now it will be just two of us.” Was his reply, quite rational? “Yes, but I want to do it.” “Make it 5000”. “No! I want more than that, so I am putting 10000” “OK, Let’s get started then” I was happy, cause I wanted him convinced, after all, I was counting on his inter-personal skills too. Gratefully the authorities did not doubt in us and sanctioned. Some laughed at the number, asked us to not over aspire, but that only fueled the need to work harder and go further. Co-incidentally we started on December 3, 2018 (wow, it took me 11 years to get convinced. Really thick ego!) 3 weeks passed by taking appointments, explaining the competition, seeking permission, distributing pamphlets; we were joined by 2 more devotees and of course the backend team; and then it was time for the results to start manifesting. The first day started with 2 schools and 501 books, we had around 28 schools more to go and many hundreds more bhagavad gitas to be distributed. And it crossed 7000 Bhagavad gitas by 15th January 2019.

What I realized from this episode is, if we really have the will, Krishna will show us the way. We can always be creative; important is to get the seva done. It may require us to get out of our comfort zone a little, but we can always use what we can do best and try. Ultimately "karmany evadhikaras te ma phalesu kadacana | ma karma-phala-hetur bhur ma te sango 'stv akarmani 

My only regret is that it took me 11 years to get convinced. Thanking the entire team of Nilachal Vedic Village, ISKCON Talasari. who participated in this "Amara-thon" and made it successful.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loves pour at the SeaShore

What IF?

No Holding Back

Translate