Dog of Krishna

I always wondered why Srila Prabhupad said we are Krishna’s dog. This thought always bothered me why he chose a dog. Few days ago one of a very old friend of my family engaged himself and me in a long conversation. By Krsna’s unlimited mercy I am surrounded by souls who are extremely spiritual in various faiths. This uncle mentioned about qualities of Dog. He said a dog has up to 40 qualities; out of which one of the most important qualities is his humility. No matter how much you hit your dog, scold them, be rude to them they will still wag their tails on seeing you. They are so faithful that no matter what it takes they will always try to defend you from any potential danger..

After he went I reflected on our conversation, and was wondering we are not even as good as dogs and we feel so proud of ourselves. I remembered Srila Prabhupad often asked to feel like a dog, and my doubt was resolved why a dog? My Guru Maharaj HH Radhanath Swami explains the principle of Opposites attracting each other in terms of Spiritual success. He says Krishna is all powerful so if we try to show our power to him we will only repel him. Power of knowledge, wealth, renunciation or beauty etc   cannot attract him. Humility attracts him. The more we get humble, the more Krsna will come running to us.

Such a simple attitude but we find it so difficult to adopt it. Because we can just not give up our egoistic identity of being a scholar, or super talented or an excellent human being or what’s more common “I know and understand everything” If someone scolds us even worse we hold eternal enmity against that person, we can never forget that insult, what to speak of still loving the person unconditionally. We are so conditioned in every walk of life, yet we are proud. We can Love only if we are loved, we can offer respect only if we are respected, we care only if we are cared for. And we talk about “trnadapi sunicena.”

I laughed at myself thinking that we claim to have so much knowledge; but realization- NONE.  Just then I came across this quote “By reading you learn, but you understand by LOVE”.  And it was so appealing. We may know everything, but we do not understand. No matter what we believe, we only Love ourselves. Because, if we were selfless we wouldn’t be hurt, we wouldn’t feel enmity, anger, hatred. We would only be concerned about the pleasure of our beloved.

Every time now when I see a dog, I feel “I am not even as good as him”.


Comments

  1. Hare Krishna,

    Kindly accept my humble pranaams.

    You are blessed with a good ability for penning down your thoughts.

    I would also like to share one of my thoughts regarding "Being Krishna's Dog"

    One of the most important qualities of a Dog is his "faithfulness" towards his master, as you also rightly mentioned.

    Also starting from the very first stage till the last stage of Bhakti we need "faith", as it is said "adau shraddha tatah sadhu-sanga ...", first comes shraddha (or faith) and rest only follows if we are faithful. And the best example on faith we can see is that of a Dog and hence Srila Prabhupada always mentioned to be Krishna's Dog.

    Thank you for being open and sharing your realization. I learnt a new point of view. It would be great to also know the 40 qualities of a dog :-)

    Hare Krishna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mama I don't know what I mean exactly learned but I get a simple massage of saying I did it I still forget that me is nothing it is done by krishna and only krishna
    u r right we r nothing in comparison to DOG
    But we should try to be what krishna has send us to do n day n night take his guidance
    HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE HARE RAM HARE RAM RAM RAM HARE HARE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No Holding Back

NOT Skin or Skills

What IF?

Translate